Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Witchcraft Deities

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Witchcraft Deities Empty
PostSubject: Witchcraft Deities   Witchcraft Deities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

As a Pagan, I am also interested in witchcraft and the ways of the Wiccan. I do like the aspect of using spells to help myself and others in areas of health and their success.

There are many Deities out there who are associated with Witchcraft, and I am going to name a few here.

1. Diana (Artemis) is a Moon Goddess and also a Huntress. But she was also a protector of witches and witchcraft. She survived the darkest times of the Middle Ages and the terrible witch hunts which shows how powerful she is. While Diana is the Roman name, I do prefer it as it sounds regal like the namesake.

2. Hekate (Hecate) is a very powerful and ancient Goddess also associated with magic and witchcraft. Sometimes she is shown as an aspect of Diana, but was worshiped in her own right. She was a Titaness and was one of the few early Greek Goddesses and Gods to remain of high stature when the younger ones came to power.

3. Selene (Luna) is a Moon Goddess and is also associated with witchcraft. She is the embodiment of the Moon, although is depicted as a beautiful nymph. She also is very ancient and is one to call when doing any spells under a full Moon.

4. Mercury (Hermes) while he is generally known for knowledge and the Messenger, he does have some magical abilities and can be used as a witchcraft Deity.

5. Lilith is a very ancient Goddess who is even mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible. Not many other deities can make that claim. She is also a protector of witchcraft and has been cast as an evil entity by the Church.

6. Cybele (Kybele) is a very ancient Goddess who may be one of the original ones worshiped. She is a Mother Goddess, but is also known as a protector of witches.

There are others out there to choose from and it is a very personal choice. If there are other personal deities others follow, feel free to share here if you like.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Witchcraft Deities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft Deities   Witchcraft Deities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:24 am

Anita the Celtic Goddess of the Sea.

And Faeries. I do not whorship them but I often times find myself thanking them when I'm cooking or if a plant grows that I love. ( I have no green thumb- i leave that to my other half) I think of them as earth angels guarding the earth and nature.

Brian Froud the creator of the creatures from The Dark Crystal honors them as well in a lovely Tarot Deck.

http://www.worldoffroud.com/
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Witchcraft Deities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft Deities   Witchcraft Deities I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 am

There is also Brigid and I forgot Anita. The faeries (and nymphs) are considered spirits or minor deities who do help when they are in the mood. They can also be mischievious, but they can be talked into helping plants grow and finding things around the house.

Minerva was originally Roman, but when the Celts adopted her she also symbolized magic as one of her many duties. She is also known as the Lady of the Lake (of King Arthur legend). It is strange many think of King Arthur as a Christian, but he was Pagan back in the day. Most of the tribes back then were not converted to Christianity for a long time. Even when they were, they hung on to old Pagan traditions and kept their deities.

Apollo also was a God who protected oracles (seers) and magic. Cupid also worked his magic arrows and is used along with his mother Aphrodite (Venus/Astarte) for love potions.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Witchcraft Deities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft Deities   Witchcraft Deities I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:43 am

There is a lot greek and roman mythology in the Love Tarot deck I have.

It is a good deck for those trying to work out their love issues. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Witchcraft Deities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft Deities   Witchcraft Deities I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Witchcraft Deities
Page 1 of 1