Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My favorite Gods

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 am

I talk a lot about the Goddess aspects of Deity, but rarely mention the God aspects. Here are some of my favorite male Deities:

Mercury: Also known as Hermes, Thoth and a few other names, he is about knowledge. He also is a protector of thieves, and since I deal with troubled teens he looks after them in this aspect. He is also a messenger and is also a fertility God.

Libera: Known as the Green Man or Dionysus to some people, this deity is the male form of nature and also fun. He is a well known fertility God and also of wine and spirits. But he is also down to Earth and deals well with humans.

Saturn: This God gets a lot of flack because of the myth stories of him eating his offspring. He was risen in his father God status in Rome, and is considered a God of Plenty. Many others are aspects of this, but he is shown as a kindly old man protecting children. There is some research indicating Saturn is a prototype for Santa Clause (don't tell Christians that one) as he did give out gifts to deserving and poor children. He also is shown with a cornucopia of items. Saturnalia did become what Christmas is today and December 25th was Saturn's feast day.

Neptune: I do love the sea and everything related to it. I look at Neptune as representing the wrath and calm of the sea at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 am

I read in my research when I was doing my report on Satanism - Saturn is also a reference to satan in Luciferism.

Weird but when you read more about such a "scary" religion - it somehow doens't really seem that scary.

That is part of why I did the research - I wanted to know for myself what it was all about. To gain an understanding of it especially being Wiccan I know how to separate myself from all that.

Like a detective talking to all the suspects.

My favorite Goddess is Anita the celtic sea god. I have a face statue of her. It is beautiful.

I put her in my office/ cat room with all my mermaids and water creatures. My betta and angel fish also are in there.

There is some amazing artwork by David Delamare of fairies and mermaids and other fun stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Since Saturn and many other deities were so popular the Church had to equate them with Satanism. Pan, Saturn, Libera and other Gods were remade as versions of Old Scratch. The same with Goddesses, especially protectors of witchcraft (Diana, Hekate).

It is interesting as one starts reading about Satanism and anything related to the occult, they find it is much different than what the Abrahamic religions want them to know.

I want to add Apollo to the list of Gods as he also represents light and the Sun.

Jupiter also should be added as he is the Sky God. Anyone who throws thunderbolts around is bound to be cool.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:52 am

Yes and a word or two about the Satanism thing is you scare yourself by agreeing with some of the key points, not all but a few. I have to go back to my presentation I posted here. The interview with Peter H. Gilmore was very informative. Even though he was a follower of LeVay.. (kinda a joke now) he had some very good points about human nature. I was thinking they should have renamed it completely. Especially since there is no Satan in Atheistic Satanism.
But from what I read it goes back to the naughty factor.

I think anyone that wants to be a minister of any faith should in fact familiarize themselves with most all religions just to be aware of the one they wish to be so devote about.

Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Some of what the atheistic Satanism sounds like could be Pantheism, which is about nature without a supernatural aspect. I am still putting together a new wish list and will probably add some books on this subject.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:43 am

It is very interesting. I would say go with stuff by Cavendish. He seems to have been one of many that can explain it very well. He is since passed but his books are very good. At least the one I'm reading now. He was a writer that loved the occult subject. I am not completely convinced he was into the occult as far as practicing it but he was very informative. Cool

He leaves the creep factor at home.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I have put a bunch of Richard Cavendish's books on my wish list.

Amphitrite is the Greek name for the Sea Goddess Anita:
My favorite Gods Amphitrite12-1
The above green skinned depiction of the Goddess of the Sea is stunning.

There are a lot of Sea, Water (Spring) Lake and River Goddesses out there. There is a Goddess of calm seas and one of the fishermen's catch. flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My favorite Gods Empty
PostSubject: Re: My favorite Gods   My favorite Gods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My favorite Gods
Page 1 of 1