A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:29 pm

It is amazing how nothing has been passed by Congress when it comes to safety and environmental protections for deep sea drilling. It is also amazing they have done nothing about the safety and ways to clean up oil spills in areas like Montana.

Yet, we see more drilling now than ever (despite what Fox News pundits try to tell us) and if there is a spill they use the same methods they used over 30 years ago.

There was a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in the 1970s and they used the old boom methods of trying to contain the oil. Those methods did not work as the wind would easily blow them away. Also, they used rags to soak up the oil like one would do at home.

30 years later with the Horizon spill they had the same exact methods and could not stop the oil from gushing as it was so deep underwater. The Big Oil companies said they had ways to deal with it and we saw they were lying.

Now, the person who was in charge the safety and environmental regulations during the oil spill has a cozy job with Big Oil. He approved many more deep sea drilling permits even though they still have no way to deal with a deep sea gusher like Horizon. It is acceptable for the oil to continually gush for 17 days until it can be stopped.

I did hear one person who used to work for the oil industry state it would take an event much worse than the horizon to get the people upset enough so Congress would actually do something.

Drill Baby Drill is the mantra of both parties. And we are going to suffer from it big time as the next one will probably be two miles deep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:34 pm

It is as though we are damned if we do and damned if we don't..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm

I was hoping they would at least try to come up with a solution when the next big spill happens again. I guess we are going to have to see a very popular beach front area covered in oil and dead animals before something really does get done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:53 am

It is sad. I feel for the animals I really do. I also feel that we are only human and mistakes will happen no matter how prepared we are.

Neutral
Back to top Go down
goodwitch
Vampire Slayer
Vampire Slayer

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 am

Unfortunately, as long as both parties play politics with this issue, and use it as a divisive campaign tactic, little will happen. And really, until we change the way our politcal campaigns are funded, the big oil companies will continue to buy favorable government policy. Unfortunately, our Supreme Court has ruled that money is speech, and corporations can anonymously give unlimited amounts of money to these so called "Super PACs," so yeah...

The only way to keep this kind of thing from happening again, is to stop using oil all together. And as horrible as it is to see all the damage done to the environment and animals from these oil spills, I fear that nothing will happen until it kills a large number of people. Which is horrible...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:43 pm

also people forget the President isn't the O'Mighty..people forget that your congress has a great deal to do with "change" the media tends to focus on the wrong things. Voting for your one elected official as a president isn't exactly the big part of it. He or she is only 2% of who runs stuff. Thinking about the pit bull law in OHIO had it not been for a local rep here in Ohio that law would never had been given a second thought.
Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Congress is supposed to enact the laws and regulations and have sat on their asses for the most part. They get huge contributions from Big Oil and as I said won't do anything until a large spill affects a major tourist destination.

Goodwitch, they already have ignored the 11 souls lost in the tragic explosion, so it will have to take the lives of one of their own loved ones to move them to do something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Feds make first arrest in BP oil spill case

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/24/feds-make-first-arrest-in-bp-oil-spill-case/?test=latestnews#ixzz1t0ODYaTi

Quote :
NEW ORLEANS –
A BP engineer intentionally deleted more than 300 text messages that said the company's efforts
to control the Gulf of Mexico oil spill were failing, and that the amount of oil leaking was far more than
what the company reported, the Justice Department said Tuesday.
In the first criminal charges related to the deadly explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig in April 2010,
the Justice Department arrested Kurt Mix and charged him with two counts of obstruction of justice
for allegedly destroying evidence sought by federal authorities, officials announced in a statement.

The charges came a day before a federal judge in New Orleans was to consider preliminary approval
of a $7.8 billion settlement between BP and a committee of plaintiffs in a civil case.
Shrimp processors have raised objections, saying the settlement does not adequately compensate them.

**Now which peons will pay the price for this?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 pm

I was reading about that arrest today. They picked some poor sap to be their patsy as none of the executives will spend a day in jail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Mercury wrote:
I was reading about that arrest today. They picked some poor sap to be their patsy as none of the executives will spend a day in jail.

This is sadly the case in all such calamities.
Those in charge go free while some underling must pay for a corporate decision.
Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

to most Money is the O'Mighty god..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...    

Back to top Go down

Two Years After the Oil Spill in the Gulf...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1