Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Moon Gods and Goddesses

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Moon Gods and Goddesses Empty
PostSubject: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 4:50 pm

It is not strange to have one lunar deity in a belief system, but I noticed the Greeks and the Egyptians have five Lunar Deities. It should also be noted the peoples of the Americas usually had two or even three deities to represent the Moon, but not quite as many as the ancient Greeks and Egyptians.

Greek (Roman) Lunar Deities:

Achelois: Minor Moon Goddess

Phoebe: Moon Goddess
(Phoebus was the male version and later merged with Apollo.)

Artemis (Diana): Moon Goddess

Selene (Luna): Moon Goddess

Hekate (Hecate): Ancient Triple Moon Goddess

It should be noted that all the Greek and Roman counterparts were female deities as compared to some male deities in other ancient myths.

Egyptian Lunar Deities:

Khonsu: Moon God

Hathor: Moon Goddess
(Some say she is the same deity as Isis while others separate her. I keep her separate as both were worshiped at the same time.)

Isis: Moon Goddess (Isis became popular all over the Mediterranean world as a Mother Goddess and Moon Goddess.)

Iah: Moon God

Thoth: Moon God
(Thoth became associated as Mercury to some although Mercury is not associated with the Moon. It is possible Thoth is more related to Apollo as he is also associated with learning and the arts and at one time the Moon.)

I do wonder why the Greeks chose to represent the Moon as a Goddess while others saw the Moon as both. Five Goddesses (six when you include the popular Isis) is also a lot for the Moon and does show its importance to them. The Moon did help them measure time and the harvest seasons. It also was used to travel at night when necessary. The Moon mainly represented magic which was very important to the ancients.

I also noted the Polynesians had six lunar deities, but since there were many smaller tribes they could of been mainly the same deity with different names. The ones under the Greek and Egyptians were all separate entities.

Maybe the Greeks and the Egyptians knew something about the Moon we still don't.

Last edited by Mercury on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I love the science behind the moon..

I don't think people realize it affects us more so than the sun. Mainly because it is closer than the sun. I am not sure I believe science when they say the moon does not make people crazy during a full moon. Many women I know have their monthly cycles ON the day of the Full Moon..

I could sit outside and stare at it for hours..
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:51 pm

I do think the Moon does create some kind of crazy out there. Lunatic does derive from Luna and lunar.

I have noticed all cultures had a Moon God or Goddess with many having more than one deity representing it. Even the Virgin Mary (who herself was deified after Diana a Moon Goddess) has the Moon as her symbol. It seems they didn't kill off all the Pagan references after all.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 pm

If anyone thinks that the moon does not affect humans, just ask a cop.

I always plant my peas by the New Moon, something that I got from the farm as a kid.

And yes many women have their cycle along with the moon.

Moon Gods and Goddesses Le
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:35 pm

The Super Moon as they call it was very bright and beautiful. Not only was it clear for the entire night, but it even warmed up as a signal to enjoy Luna's rays.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:53 pm

I should update the list of the Greek Moon Goddesses as I have found a few more in my research. Here are the ones from above:

Diana/Artemis (Moon Goddess)

Hekate/Hecate (Moon and Magic Goddess)

Selene/Luna (Moon Goddess/Personification of the Moon)

Phoebe (Titan Moon Goddess)

Achelois (Moon Goddess)

added to the list:

Alcyone (Titan Moon Goddess)

Europa (Moon and Sea Goddess
She was probably observed by sailors and night fishermen.

Isis (Moon Goddess) She was her own entity and worshiped along with the others in Greece

Asteria (Star and Moon Goddess)

That makes nine Greek Moon Goddesses and shows the importance of the Moon to them.

Last edited by Mercury on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed Titaness to Titan)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:30 am

Had a late night picnic watching the moon. =0)
Back to top Go down
https://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Admin wrote:
Had a late night picnic watching the moon. =0)

That sounds both fun and romantic! sunny flower
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 5:25 pm

A few more Greek/Roman Moon Gods and Goddesses to add:

Aglibol (Moon God) Originally from the regions of Syria, he was also worshiped by the Greeks and Romans. One of the only Moon Gods worshiped by the Greeks.

Aphaea (Moon Goddess) Minor Moon Goddess from Greece

Aradia (Moon Goddess) Modern Witch Goddess adapted from an older Moon Goddess

Araua/Arava (Roman Moon Goddess) imported Goddess

Asterodeia (Moon Goddess) Not to be confused with Asteria

Canidia (Moon and Witch Goddess) Crone Goddess

Electryone (Moon Goddess) Greek minor Moon Goddess

Astarte (Moon Goddess) imported from the Middle East and became popular

Helena (Moon Goddess) ot to be confused with Helene of Troy, a vegetation Goddess

Iana (Roman New Moon Goddess)

Caelestis (Roman Moon Goddess)

The Roman deities were also recognized in Greece and vice versa. It is interesting they had so many Moon Deities for both Rome and Greece. I now count 20 Moon Deities recognized by the Romans and Greeks.

Last edited by Mercury on Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Over 21 Moon Deities acknowledged by the Greeks and Romans in my research:

Achelois
Aglibol
Alcyone
Aphaea
Aradia
Arava
Astarte
Asteria
Asterodeia
Caelestis
Canidia
Diana (Artemis)
Electryone
Europa
Hecate (Hekate)
Helena
Isis
Iana
Pasiphae
Phoebe
Selene (Luna)

I recently found out about Pasiphae who is a daughter of Helios.

I am going to put up a list of Sea Gods and Goddesses as the Greeks and Romans had many of them including Doris.

Last edited by Mercury on Mon May 20, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : The spelling of Jana should be Iana)
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I have found more Moon Deities worshiped in both or either Greece or Rome. Some of the names could of been forms of another Goddess or were later merged into the other Goddess.

Pandeia (Greek Full Moon Goddess)

Aega (Moon Goddess)

Andromeda (Moon Goddess)
Andromeda started off as an ancient Moon Goddess with her own altars. She was transformed into a mortal by some myth stories, but she was a Moon Goddess originally

Bendis (Moon Goddess) local Moon Goddess who later was blended into Artemis by some but is still a separate entity

Britomarie (Roman and Celtic Moon Goddess)

Epona (Roman and Celtic Horse and Moon Goddess)

Lucina (Moonlight Goddess)

This brings the total list to 28 Moon Deities worshiped in some form or another by the Greeks and Romans.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm

I have updated the list and changed the colors so it is easier to read in this new format. I also want to add one more changing to total to 29 Deities associated with the Moon.

Juno (Mother/Moon Goddess) There are many indications Juno was also a Moon Goddess along with her identification as a Mother Goddess. Since the definitions and associations changed in many areas, I have decided to include her here. There was a name Juna which was on the list, but it was a variation of the spelling for Juno.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moon Gods and Goddesses   Moon Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moon Gods and Goddesses
Page 1 of 1