Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nature Walks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 pm

There is nothing I love more than when I was able to take long walks in the woods or along the Lake Michigan shore. This was before my health issues took over and make it difficult for me to walk any distance.

I literally would stop and smell the flowers along the way and look for the simplest animals out there. I also would take my dogs with me and they also loved the walks.

There are many private areas in Lake Michigan and it was nice to see how wonderful the lake shore was. My boys would come along and go skinny dipping as there wee no other people to bother us.*

How many here go on nature walks? Do you meditate on them or just smell the flowers?

*I have a friend who owns property along the lake and I would walk along the shoreline. Always ask permission before embarking on private property.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:28 am

I am a spoiled shrew.. I live right next to a National park area here - all woods filled with Coyotes and deer.

I don't venture out though as much as I would like. I work all day by the time I get home it is dark so I don't go at night.

In the fall I did manage a few walks with the dog. I won't go alone without my pit bull. He may be short and stalky but no one will mess with me. bounce

The area by me is beautiful and peaceful though. You can just feel the energy of the trees and it is very pleasant.

A few of my co-workers that live close by me plan on taking our dogs out come spring. Who knows maybe my dog won't run a muck! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 7:53 pm

When I grew up there was a large forest preserve near us and I would walk through it all the time. We live a bit far from one, but there are some wooded areas near the industrial area. I am going to go to them as they are large enough to have some interesting critters living there.

We do have a large woodchuck who lives underneath our porch. He comes out and eats some scraps and then casually walks around. He is almost tame and will come near you, but I don't recommend trying to pet him. Those teeth are big and he probably wouldn't hesitate to use them if he felt threatened.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 am

I got bit by a ground hog when I was like 4 or 5 and then the city came to look for it to put it down. I felt really bad about it. It thought my finger was a carrot I had been feeding it, but my worrisome mom wanted it "taken care of."

I even named him..Charlie.

He was wild and living in a sewer at my grandmas house. He had a nest and I snuck and fed him. No one knew I had done it till he nipped at my finger during a feeding. They were worried about rabies. I was fine. I knew I was going to be fine. But I still felt really bad. I was always an animal lover taking things and then getting told "no put that back.."

and right now we have squirrels in our attic but I haven't really pressed the issue to get rid of them. They aren't doing any damage and it is winter. I figure I'll wait till spring.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:10 pm

The woodchuck is a big old animal who seems to mind his business here. I do like him and he seems to acknowledge me when he does his morning forage (in warm weather that is).

My concern about squirrels is they might chew wiring in the attic. They also can chew wood and damage the roof. Another problem is they bring in fleas and other parasites which is not good for the dogs.

I see your concern about it being cold, but squirrels do build very cozy nests for the winter. I would check out the attic to make sure there is no damage and no way for them to get inside. Also, give your doggies and kitties flea treatments for the time being.

I do love watching squirrels outside when they work their way into a bird feeder. My cats stare at them for hours and run through the house to find a window they are outside of to keep on watching.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Yeah my bf did a check last weekend for damage none done. He's planning on politely using moth balls to urge them out. I'm wondering if we can collect rent;-)

But yes fleas have been awful in oh so yes I have animals on Revolution. Luckily!!
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 pm

The Frontline spray worked great for my dogs. You have to get them wet with it and applying it can be a fun task, but it works great.

I do love all of the outdoor critters and hate to see anything bad happen to them.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Mine gets such a huffy attitude when you clean him, treat him, and clip nails.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 pm

MaxMercury wrote:
When I grew up there was a large forest preserve near us and I would walk through it all the time. We live a bit far from one, but there are some wooded areas near the industrial area. I am going to go to them as they are large enough to have some interesting critters living there.

We do have a large woodchuck who lives underneath our porch. He comes out and eats some scraps and then casually walks around. He is almost tame and will come near you, but I don't recommend trying to pet him. Those teeth are big and he probably wouldn't hesitate to use them if he felt threatened.

One of my neighbors had a young one as a pet.
Put it in a cat harness and walked it.
Buried a small drum in the backyard and fence the ground, covered the ground in 6" of dirt.
He could run around, dig and play, but could not get out.
Of course when we bought our houses we had the last two on the road.
Past us were nothing but farm fields, woods, and then the river.

Unfortunately now there are houses as far as the eye can see.
The timber land across from me is being turned into a industrial park. Sad

I taught my son, daughter, and neighbors son to hunt in those woods,
now the deer roam the flower beds instead of game trails.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Urban and suburban sprawl is still a huge problem. Instead of building on formerly used areas, they abandon them and develop wooded and wilderness areas. There was a movement to control sprawl, but I haven't heard too much about it now.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 12:07 am

Yes, far too much abandoned industrial land is just sitting,
while wild places are being developed.

However, the company I worked for tore down unused buildings and dug up foundations.
They went out of their way to bring back the wild.
It was a good PR move at the time.
And it didn't cost them, all the work was done by volunteers.

Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 pm

That is good to hear, OD. I have read about many companies doing this and I hope many other areas are brought back to their original natural state.

There are many old abandoned shopping centers and run down neighborhoods which can be either built up or turned over to nature.

On a side note, many large cities are turning old plots into small parks with trees. While not fully natural, they are good open areas to get some trees in to help cool things down in the summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nature Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Walks   Nature Walks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nature Walks
Page 1 of 1