Share | 

The Case for Indoor Cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: The Case for Indoor Cats   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 pm

I am watching my cats right now and they are fascinated by the birds outside of the window. They really perk up when they hear the singing of the birds and act like they are ready to pounce on them. They also make that cute noise cats make when they see a bird or squirrel.

They are all indoor cats so the songbirds are safe. There are some who think it is cruel to keep a cat indoors, and I once agreed with that statement. However, I have changed my views on this for many reasons.

1. No fleas. I think one of the biggest problems was the flea infestations in the past. Those little buggers would bite at night and cause misery to the cats. We actually have a small problem as we received two male cats from a dog owner who were indoor cats. The problem is the fleas needed a meal and found two fat kitties. We have defeated this problem and it reminded me again why I keep the cats indoors. Fleas, ticks and all kinds of other critters not to mention the ragweed and allergies they bring with them. (People aren't allergic to the animals themselves, it is either the dander or the stuff brought in from the outside.)

2. Safety: After having several cats get hit by cars when I was younger, my mother decided to keep the cats indoors. They live longer as they don't have the dangers of the outdoors like people who purposely aim for cats (some also do the same to dogs). There are also big dogs to worry about as a ten pound cat is no match for a 100 pound dog. Keeping them inside saves the worries and hassles of cars, dogs and neighbors who leave out poisons to protect their gardens.

3. Songbirds: Cats are among the most able predators with one out of three pounces successful. This may not seem like much when watching the nature channels, but they show the kills and never the misses which is the majority time. Songbirds are getting rarer every day and they do not need a fat kitty who gets a meal at home to kill them for the pleasure of it. They get that enough from us humans. Keeping the cats indoors saves millions of songbirds from their doom.

Many think a cat would get bored indoors, but there are plenty of things to get at the pet store to keep them occupied. Also, one can build a screened in area on the outside where the cats can't escape. I have seen some pretty impressive set-ups out there. From screened in porches to cat coves made specially for them, many options are available.

The bottom line is to keep your kitty healthy and safe. It also is nice to hear the songbirds during the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Case for Indoor Cats   Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 am

got here a bit late.. but I agree. I took my dog off his flea and tick meds for a month or two.. he gets really irritated skin and he is itchy still (of course god knows what he is allergic to, he finds almost anything to eat and then grumbly belly!!) I will give him a dose before fall is up.. fleas and ticks have a last harrah early NOV in OH.. but we did get down to 30 degrees a week ago and that may have killed any insect outside.. I have not seen anything since. My plants are also growing a lot during this frosty weather.. never knew peppermint, tomatos (weird) and rosemary and other herbs would even last after a first frost.. but they are trucking on!

My cats are annoying..(I know it sounds mean but they are two little nuts lately..) i am not sure if it was the full moon but they have taken to overly whining for food at 4 am.. can I sleep!!!

Apparently not. I do love them very much.. but I think I need a vacation from my house..

The fat kitty is really loud and my cat actually lost his voice last week from meowing so loud. I looked at him and laughed last night when I was making spaghetti. he sat there and barely meowed because of the kitty voice loss. I can only shake my head.. The thing is they get a can and a half of food. Sometimes mixed with other goodies. I could understand it if I never fed them.. but come on.. they eat before I do.

they should be more like the dog.. minus the eating of paper towels.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: Re: The Case for Indoor Cats   Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm

We keep a dish full of dry food all the time. None of the four cats like canned food, but three of the love people food. (The one just likes her dry food and kitty snacks.)

Usually it takes three straight days of below freezing weather to kill off a good portion of fleas ticks and other insects. While one day of freezing helps, it is not enough to keep the pests from having infestations next summer.

Our two large male cats barely squeak when they meow. They do caterwaul when they miss someone, but they are quiet for the most part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Case for Indoor Cats   Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:05 am

My cats don't believe I have fed them unless they see the food going into the dish... sometimes if I give them a lot of food or large portion they will still eat it and beg.. and one of my cats was quite obese for a while.. she is on a diet now. She is a hefty mama=0)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God

PostSubject: Re: The Case for Indoor Cats   Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Our two orange kitties are rather large themselves. They eat dry food and a few handouts but don't really gorge on food.

I can see putting an animal on a diet as they can get serious health problems if they are really heavy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Case for Indoor Cats   

Back to top Go down

The Case for Indoor Cats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1