Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rails to Trails

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 pm

As a rail fan, I do get saddened when once great lines are abandoned as it is a part of history. But one thing I do truly appreciate is the actual right of way and some very beautiful pristine areas the tracks used to follow. Now, many are trails for people to enjoy and I do think it is the best use for them.

We have a rail to trail known as the Old Plank Road Trail that runs from Park Forest to Joliet IL. It was created in the 1980s and is very popular today.

For many of you here, I am sure you would want to find a rail to trail near you:

http://www.traillink.com/home.aspx

Many are still being constructed, and if anyone knows where an abandoned railroad is, they can start to get it converted to a trail.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 9:41 am

There is actually one that runs behind my house. I don't mind the noise though. It is pretty cool.

The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad goes on during the warmer months through early December ending with the "Polar Express" for the kids.. I haven't went on the train yet due to the expensive prices and the schedule fills up so fast. I do want to take my neices on the Polar Express when they get a little older.

http://www.cvsr.com/

The Scenic tour runs through the national park by my house and is known for the gorgeous scenery. It is pretty cool to live so close to so many cool places.

Back to top Go down
https://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm

That site is also great for those planning a vacation. I am surprised at how many abandoned rails are out West and have been turned into long wilderness trails. (Railroads have consolidated lines and have eliminated redundancy.)

I hope many here will check it out if they love to hike. There are dozens of such trails in the Chicago area alone.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 11:31 pm

I think it can be expensive too. People don't spend a lot of money for recreation with the economy. Not all but some.
Back to top Go down
https://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm

There are many old rail beds here.
Most are blocked off in some way to stop four wheeling.
Of course it is harder to stop bikes..Rails to Trails 7255F6255F2

They do make great walking or hiking trails
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Many former coal lines to mines throughout the country. I was surprised to see so many in the state of Illinois. The coal mines are no longer in use, but the rail beds are still there and make good trails.

The problem is many go through private property and are fenced off for anyone wanting to go hiking.

Out West, there are many former logging lines that are still visible as trails.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 12:13 am

Most here run east and west, coal lines to the industrial areas in the east.
Most heavy industry here has down sized, or just gone out of business.
And gas and oil has replaced most of the coal usage.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rails to Trails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rails to Trails   Rails to Trails I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rails to Trails
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Preternatural Research Society :: Nature-
Jump to: