Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What is Paganism?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 pm

I get asked this a lot by family members when I tell them I am a Pagan. It is difficult to define in the sense of dogma as there is none to Paganism. Some forms have practices, but for the most part Paganism is very personal to each individual.

I tell them a simple answer: Paganism is about nature and our relationship to it. How we define it is personal as is how we define what Deity is. Mother Earth and the care for her is upfront for many Pagans and we look at nature as being part of us.

Most Western religions seem to ignore nature for the most part. Many say they don't care what happens to Gaea as they are going to Heaven anyways.

I see Mother Earth as a place of beauty which we must protect and honor. Reincarnation is part of this process, so we have to take care of our home for future use (my personal view).

Other Pagans might have differing views and are welcome to share theirs.

Another question I get: Is Wicca and Paganism the same thing?

Answer: Yes and no. Wicca is a form of Paganism, but not all Pagans are Wiccans. The same can be said of Christianity as all Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Quote :
The same can be said of Christianity as all Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.
What is Paganism? Lol33

Many Christians will argue that statement.
Many Protestants believe Catholics to be cults and not Christians.

What is Paganism? Preacher
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Sometimes I consider myself to be a mutt of religion. I grew up Baptist, became Wiccan later, and my boyfriend is Catholic:-)
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 10:35 pm

It is true there are many Christian sects who do not think Catholics are Christians. It seems odd as Catholicism was the only one out there for nearly 1000 years (Orthodox Christians are basically the same as Catholics but have a different leader.)

I grew up as a Catholic and spent many years trying to find the right path. I was even an atheist for a brief period of time, but that didn't work out for me.

I still am on a path of learning and will continue to do so.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 am

MaxMercury wrote:

As do we all.

Oh, and Max there were many sects of Christians
before Constantine brought them together
and added a little Roman Paganism to the mix.

What is Paganism? 1lg145Scroll
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm

OD wrote:
MaxMercury wrote:

As do we all.

Oh, and Max there were many sects of Christians
before Constantine brought them together
and added a little Roman Paganism to the mix.

What is Paganism? 1lg145Scroll

That is very true. There were Gnostics and many other sects including Coptic Christians before the Catholic Church got started. But the Church then turned on its competition and almost wiped them out. For a while, they were the only game in town unless you wanted to court the Inquisition and being roasted alive.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 am

Good point, how many would give up their religion when faced with torture and death?

What is Paganism? Nun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is Paganism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Paganism?   What is Paganism? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Paganism?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Preternatural Research Society :: Spirituality and Religion-
Jump to: