Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A diversion for your weekend...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
goodwitch
Vampire Slayer
Vampire Slayer
goodwitch

A diversion for your weekend... Empty
PostSubject: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 pm

So, one of the things I'm currently obessesed with is the TV show and series of novels Game of Thrones. Lets discuss...

The TV series on HBO is currently in its second season, airing Sunday nights at 9:00. But if you don't have HBO, the show is based on a series of novels by George R.R. Martin called "A Song of Ice and Fire." Game of Thrones is the first novel and I am about 1/3 of the way through.

The story is set in a fictional feudal land called Westeros. A (supernatural?) event occured long ago that causes seasons that last years. As the story begins, we are at the end of a summer that has lasted nine years, but Winter Is Coming, and no one knows how long it will last. The action centers (at least at this point) around 4 prominent Houses (families) wrestling for the throne. However, the kingdom is protected from a vast forest full of mysterious and dangerous creatures by "The Wall" (a la the Great Wall of China). Said wall is defended by the men of the Night's Watch. There seems to be a sense that when the Winter comes, these mysterious/dangerous creatures will invade Westeros. But the people in power are too busy fighting amongst themeselves to notice/care, and they seem to be in denial that said creatures even exist! I don't want to give away too much, but the situation is tense and super compelling!

Also, beyond the exciting plot, the writing in both the novels and the TV series is superb. The world is well-established with it's own geography (maps included!) and rules. As are the characters...it seems that none of them are black or white, and I find myself often wondering what their motives and intentions are, what is this character likely to do next, and what the implications will be for my favorite characters. Super fun! And there are several deeply distrubing/disgusting people! You think that would turn you off, but it really is fascinating...

My favorite thing about this work is it's treatment of women. There are several female characters from high born ladies, to prostitutes that not only are well written, but are strong intelligent women who respond to their problems/circumstances as women. Too often in fiction (be it on TV, in books, or movies) we see what are supposed to be "strong women" but they are really just written as a man in a woman's body. Not to so in Game of Thrones. These are not women who are trying "make it in a man's world" but who are just trying to survive in a brutal world. Full stop. They have their own agendas and use their power as women, be it their sexuality or love for their children, or their social status. We rarely see women portrayed in such a way, especially by men (no offense).

The books are wildly popular, and available in just about any bookstore. Again, the show airs Sunday nights at 9:00 on HBO. However, I highly reccomend watching the first season (about 10 episodes) as it will be difficult to just jump in now. So if you find yourself bored this weekend, I can not reccomend this work enough! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 pm

I watched one episode of this recently and was fascinated. My problem now is I want to get season one and watch it before I start season 2. I thought it was a regular Medieval drama until I saw small dragons in it.

I am going to be all caught up by the time season 3 starts.

I also know the fans who didn't read the books were upset that they killed off a major character in Season 1.
Back to top Go down
goodwitch
Vampire Slayer
Vampire Slayer
goodwitch

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 12:28 am

They did kill off a major character in Season 1! I was devastated, but it was totally necessary to move the story forward. I get the feeling this is the kind of show where you shouldn't get too attached to any one character (good luck with that), because it feels like any one of them could go at any time.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 4:19 pm

A good thing about that is it gives the show an edge of danger as you cannot be too certain a character will survive it. A problem with most other series is we know a character will be their next week. Minor characters or contract talks can change this rule of course.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:25 am

Plus being HBO there's no guarantee the show will be there either. They tend to get bored easily and drop decent shows then bring some stupid show I. It's place like when they renewed Treme and canceled Hung! People were outraged because the ratings for Treme were practically non existent!
Back to top Go down
https://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm

It's been renewed for a third season so you don't have to fret. It is one of the most expensive shows they are doing, but they sell it overseas (a huge market us Americans tend to forget about) and sell millions of DVDs.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Up till now I think Rome was there most expensive. that was a great show!
Back to top Go down
https://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
goodwitch
Vampire Slayer
Vampire Slayer
goodwitch

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Loved Rome! I was so sorry to see it go. But I think we're good with Game of Thrones, it's a total phenom.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Let's hope it stays that way. Although the last two episodes didn't hold my interest and I struggled through both episodes. Creatively it is stuff that has been done before in one shape or form, but the fact you want revenge for the Stark family makes you keep watching.. I could care less about some of the newer characters this season. Yet, from one creative writer type to another I am sure they will serve their purpose.. king queen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A diversion for your weekend...   A diversion for your weekend... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A diversion for your weekend...
Page 1 of 1