Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Religion - the man made philosophy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

Religion - the man made philosophy  Empty
PostSubject: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 pm

I have for most of my life thought more "outside the box" when it comes to religion. The older I get the more interested I am in different cultures, dark arts, angelic beings, possible alien intervention in the making of our "gods."

It surpasses our thinking in a sense. So many different cultures and so many different beliefs. Christianity survived as the main winner because it was what the majority agreed upon.

It is like picking out of a hat. Yet, I find myself very intrigued by many different aspects of original thought when it comes to religion. I like angels, but can empathize with atheists.

I understand where a Atheistic Satanist comes from when they say "honor thyself" and also where a babtist preacher comes from in his contempt for evil doers. Yet we put all these stigmas on things and say one is better than the other and or one will cause you to forever burn eternally.

What if prayers are just a thought or deep need or wish being acted out through mind over matter? Something our collective consciousness can prey upon? Good, bad, fast, slow, unanswered, answered?

There was a scientist (whose name I cannot recall) who found the God gene in human DNA. That need to whorship beyond ourselves. It is inate in us.

Or is it not? Just some food for thought while I sit drinking my Vitamin Water (even though it has more sugar in it than vitamins )
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:39 pm

I do think Christianity survived because Constantine wanted to save his empire. He needed to unite people under one religion, and Christianity was young enough to mold into his version.

I can see what you are saying now as we are in the 3rd Millenium why is it still so popular?

I think an answer is we are still spiritual people and are looking for the answers out there. Unfortunately, most of the organized religions have carte blanc on what to believe in. Any other idea is equated with evil or occultism and other bad omens.

They do forget knowledge is more than reason and facts, it is also about our soul and who we are and where are we headed.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 am

I think when the scientist figured out that a soul or some aspect of humanity left the body in the case of I think it was called "23 grahams?" that was a good way to see that we as human beings have a soul.

it is all the stuff in between that makes me crazy. people are so quick to judge you for your beliefs, yet christianity (and I'm not downing it at all- every religion serves a purpose.) has some of the most insane things going on.

I grew up Baptist, and that could be as hard core as it gets in some cases. I never felt complete in that religion. I always felt like something about the idea of God was missing. It left me more questions than answers in some cases.

The missing components of the Bible for one thing was hard to take in. It leaves you with this missing code, or missing link. I always felt God was in nature. He likes us saving our planet. Why would he not? He made it according to the bible..I always felt that the devil in many aspects was also sort of a weak link to our darkness in humanity.

Not saying I'm all Pro Devil, not at all. Just wanted to know more about him as well. Never seemed to be enough insight. Maybe it is my psychology obsession with the human mind. Intrigued with why evil exists.

I just believe we are a darker species because we are basically animals. A smarter animal, but still an animal. The dark nature in us I also believe is in God - in that same instance that we are of balance.

I get in trouble a lot with my Christian friends saying it. That is why I was so drawn to being a Wiccan and also not really wanting to dabble in dark arts, but at least having an understanding of them. I believe that a good witch so to speak has a will to harm as well as to heal. It just takes a better witch to know it isn't worth it to harm. No point in it. What do you get out of it? Some bad karma?? Definitely not worth 3 flat tires on the hwy. flower
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Humans are animals and are scientifically classified as such. This also upsets many Christians when informed they are animals. We are darker in nature as we are very violent and carnal species. This is not always a bad thing as we can control these urges.

One reason I like Paganism is it embraces nature and our beastly selves. We are here on Mother Earth to share Her abundance with all the creatures, not just us. If Mother Earth chooses, she can get rid of us quite quickly if we don't behave.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 am

Blessings to that!
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm

All religions come from the minds of men.

I don't think God would be into religion... No

I do believe there is a God & Goddess.

My Christian friends would not understand this.

Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 pm

My devout Catholic sister has asked me to explain all the tenets I believe in. She asked how I worship and what are my core beliefs.

I tried to tell her Paganism was a personal thing and there were no real rules about it. Paganism is about nature and Mother Earth, but how one goes about it is each individual choice.

They find it difficult to understand as they are used to a priest or reverend telling them what to believe and not believe. It seems they need to have a Hell so they do good deeds. I don't need a Hell as I do good deeds as I like doing them.
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am

A little off topic.. I was on my lunch break looking at those Church Signs.. some really funny ones.

one read "Laying in bed shouting OH GOD OH GOD isn't the same thing as Praying, we will see you at 9:30 Sunday Service"

Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Tethys13 wrote:
A little off topic.. I was on my lunch break looking at those Church Signs.. some really funny ones.

one read
"Laying in bed shouting OH GOD OH GOD isn't the same thing as Praying,

we will see you at 9:30 Sunday Service"

Religion - the man made philosophy  Lol33
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Laughing Thought someone would like that pirat

Religion - the man made philosophy  Funny_church_sign
Back to top Go down
goodwitch
Vampire Slayer
Vampire Slayer
goodwitch

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Mercury: I understand what you mean. When I'm asked to explain Wicaa to my (very respectful) Christian friends, I'm always hard pressed to come up with the "bumper sticker" answer as it is a very personal choice as to how we practice our faith. Ironically, if you probe deep enough, this is also the case for many Christians as well. I'm always interested to hear that many, if not most, Christians do not buy the whole package that their religion has to offer. For example, I know many Christians who don't see anything wrong with gay marriage, although it's forbidden in the bible.

That said, I think religion of any kind can be a good thing for humanity. For example, I'm often asked why I celebrate Christmas even though I'm Wicaan. But let's stop for a moment and think about what we know for sure about Jesus: he definitely lived, he was a really good guy, and he inspired billions of people across the millenia to be kinder to each other and live better lives. Of course I will celebrate his birthday as surely as I celbrate that of Dr. King. Religion can give us excellent role models as well as the feeling that we are not alone...that there is someone/something looking out for us and loving us.

What I don't understand is why so many religious people seem to feel the need to force us to live by their beliefs, especially when it comes to politics (at least in the US), and why some feel the need to actually kill those whose beliefs contradict theirs, be they suicide bombers or wife beaters, or snipers.
Back to top Go down
OD
Elder Spirit
Elder Spirit
OD

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Forced conversion is the history of several religions and political cults.
Once you start killing to make non believers see the light,
they don't realize that, they have become the darkest of us. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 pm

I celebrate Christmas as it is a time to be with family and friends. Also, most of the aspects of Christmas come from Pagan influences: Christmas Tree (Yule Tree); gift giving and celebrations (Saturnalia); celebrating a birthday of a God (Mithra, Attis, Sol Invictus, Dionysus/Liber, Osiris, etc).

The best thing for me to do is not say a prayer out loud as I give thanks to the Mother Goddess. That never goes over well with a Catholic and Fundamentalist family (my boys don't care as they are finding their own paths).

Back to top Go down
goodwitch
Vampire Slayer
Vampire Slayer
goodwitch

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 am

I too find subversive ways of celebrating my pagan beliefs at Christmas, like decorating my tree with only stars and spherical bulbs :-)
Back to top Go down
Tethys13
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord
Tethys13

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 am

I am a wiccan but I enjoy the holidays. Only thing I hate are the shoppers. They get on my last nerve. I don't shop at christmas time anymore. I order online in October.

The tree - the lights- Yule I love it. But my all time favorite holiday is and always will be Samhain. (Halloween) I will sometimes take off work during that time instead of the other holidays just to get my house in order for the coming winter. And it is usually close to my birthday too so then I have off to rest and relax before our winter workload at work.

It is a calm time for me.
Back to top Go down
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 am

I do like the symbolism you use, Goodwitch when decorating your Season Tree.

I love Halloween also as it is fun to see the youngsters out in their costumes. I hope to have better candy this year as the past Halloween was a bit tough on the money situation.

I have to get my small personal altar ready for the holidays and seasons so I can do something special to celebrate their passing.

I used to love shopping for Christmas, but my health makes it more difficult in dealing with all the standing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion - the man made philosophy    Religion - the man made philosophy  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Religion - the man made philosophy
Page 1 of 1