Preternatural Research Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum promoting scientific research to back up paranormal experiences

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses Empty
PostSubject: Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses   Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:55 pm

This has always fascinated me as to how the days of the week survived with their names following the advent of Christianity. When Constantine converted the Roman Empire into Christianity, the immediate stomping out of anything Pagan related soon started. I do wonder why the English adopted the Pagan names instead of going with other meanings?

Sunday from Sunna the Sun Goddess

Monday from Manna the Moon Goddess

Tuesday from Tyr the War God

Wednesday from Woden the Chief God

Thursday from Thor the Thunder and Sky God

Friday from Freyja the Love and Beauty Goddess

Saturday from Saturn, the Roman Agriculture and Protector of Children God

With the exception of Saturn, the other names came from the Norse/Germanic Deities. I have always been puzzled by this one and am glad they did it. It shows Paganism still managed to survive the onslaught of the Christians.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses   Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:57 am

I had learned that way back in like the 3rd grade but had forgotten that.

=0) thanks for the reminder.
Back to top Go down
https://preternaturalclub.forumotion.com
Mercury
God
God
Mercury

PostSubject: Re: Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses   Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:20 pm

I also remember learning about it too. The one thing I never really questioned was why they did it that way. With the advent of Christianity taking over in the 4th Century, they started to destroy or transform anything that sounded Pagan in origin.

Many Gods and Goddesses of the locals were transformed into versions of Satan (including Saturn himself).

It was something I was thinking about and decided to bring to the attention of the members here. I think the Wiccans and Pagans will get a kick out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses   Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Days of the Week Named After Norse Gods and Goddesses
Page 1 of 1